Greece Travel Guide logo

Greece Travel Guide


 Greek Island Guide


Hotels of Greece



International Drivers License
for Driving in Greece

EU citizens of the European Union can use their own licenses for driving in Greece. Other nationals should have an International Drivers License, though in practice, a recognizable photo license is usually accepted. US licenses have been accepted in the past but I recommend having an International drivers license just to be on the safe side. Getting an International Drivers license is not the hassle it used to be and there are companies that offer them on-line. The International Driving Permit is recognized worldwide as a valuable document identifying you as a properly licensed resident. No test is required, but you must have a valid Native Drivers Licence and be 18 years of age or older.

Central Athens area restricts car access to reduce congestion, but these restrictions do not apply to rental cars or those owned by foreigners in the country for a short stay. Those foreigners who do live in Athens must follow the odd-even license plate rules which allow you to circulate in the center of the city depending on what number your plates end with.

Remember to use your seat belts when driving in Greece. Passengers in the front are required to by law but everyone should use them. Children 10 years old or younger are required to sit in the back seat. You have to be at least 18 years old to drive.

ELPA the Greek version of AAA offers roadside assistance to AAA members, CAA members and other International Organizations. For emergency assistance dial 104 and 154. For emergencies dial 112 for multi-language help. Dial 100 for Police, 166 for Fires, and 199 for ambulance service.

See also Matt Barrett's Driving in Greece

Return to Foreign Assistance in Greece Index

Return to Athens Survival Guide