Foreign Assistance in Greece

International Drivers License for Driving in Greece

What is an International Driverís Permit (IDP)?
A United Nations treaty gives residents of one country the right to drive in other countries using the driverís license issued by the government where they live. To make the process easier, you can get an International Driverís Permit (IDP) that translates your driverís license into 10 different languages, making it easier for officials in foreign countries to understand.

Does the IDP replace my driverís license?
No, itís just a supplement to a valid license. You need your regular license to drive in another country.

Where do you get an International Driverís Permit?The U.S. Department of State has authorized only two organizations to issue the IDP. You can get one through the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA).

An IDP costs $10.

What are the requirements to get an IDP?
If youíre a U.S. resident, you must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driverís license.

Can I use an IDP as a form of identification?

Can I use an IDP to drive in the United States?
Nope. If youíre a U.S. citizen, itís not a valid driverís license to use in the U.S. In fact, if youíre a U.S. citizen and caught using an IDP instead of a driverís license, you can get in big trouble.

What happens if someone claims I can use an IDP instead of a valid driverís license?
Itís a scam.

Hereís what the Federal Trade Commission has to say:

Ads and offers for fake IDLs and IDPs are showing up on websites and as spam email. They also are sold "on the street"Ö The price for one of these fake documents can range from $65 to $350.

The marketers falsely claim that their documents:

* authorize consumers to drive legally in the U.S., even if they don't have state-issued licenses or if their state-issued licenses have been suspended or revoked;
* can be used to avoid points or fines affecting state-issued drivers' licenses; and
* can be used as photo ID in the U.S.

See also Matt Barrett's Driving in Greece

Return to Foreign Assistance in Greece Index